Monday, June 8, 2009

BuffTri Recap

Despite a balmy 49 degree forecast athletes covered the hillside at Sturgis Park, in Buffalo MN. Over 1,500 participants turned out for the Buffalo Triathlon in Buffalo MN. The race was scheduled for Sunday June 7th at 9am. The water temperature was 69 degrees so wetsuits were an essential commodity for the swim. There were two race distances a sprint, and the international or olympic distance.

A robust elite wave started off the race at 9am sharp, the pack included the likes of 70.3 World Champion Terenzo Bozzone
. Swim heats started 2 minutes apart with 10 year groups of males and females. The swim was a loop around a rubber-ducky lined course. The bike was a loop as well, which graced the rolling hills of the country side. The run, an out and back, took racers alongside the shore of Buffalo Lake.

Despite my feelings of under preparation, I had a great race. All things considered, it was not my personal-best, but it was a nice day for a race even with the cold temperature. The swim was freezing and my head felt a bit whoozey getting out of the water into the transition. The transitions were difficult because the cold slowed down neurologic functioning of fingers and acute body movements. I think I wasted the most time tightening my shoe laces at T2. Going into the bike I felt really strong. One difference for me however, was that the wind was the exact opposite direction as when I had ridden the course the Tuesday before. Keeping my head low and staying down in the aerobars, even on the hills, allowed me to average just over 20 mph and came in to T2 in a nice position. The run was amazing, considering the volume I had done in training. Finishing it all up I felt encouraged and spent!

What a wonderful day of athletes giving it their all. It was so good to see a few athletes that I coach, and they seemed to have had great races too. A proud coach I am. Way to go athletes!

-Coach K

No comments:

Post a Comment